Early Years & Montessori
Special Needs Assisting
Position: Speech and Language Therapy Assistant Lecturer
I am a Senior Speech and Language Therapist with more than 15 years experience working with children of all ages and their families. I have extensive experience working across areas of SLT including speech, language, augmentative and alternative communication and eating, drinking and swallowing. I am passionate about student education and was employed as a practice tutor for speech and language therapy students in Trinity College for a number of years. Alongside my tutoring work with Portobello I also work with a digital health company to develop technological solutions to support SLT’s work with children.
Lindsay’s Teaching Philosophy
I try to bring a partnership approach to my tutoring in Portobello by exploring students’ expectations and learning objectives at the start of the SLTA course. I also endeavour to create a safe and welcoming environment that values opinions and welcomes discussion and questions.
I thoroughly enjoy hearing about students’ motivations for attending the course and their future career aspirations. I am consistently impressed by the students’ level of dedication and determination to their chosen course. This enthusiasm provides for a classroom setting in which students are actively engaged.
- BSc Clinical Speech and Language Studies, Trinity College Dublin (2004)
- MSc Language and Communication Impairment in Children, University of Sheffield (2012)
- PhD Person-centred care education, Technological University Dublin (ongoing)
Research / Industry Participation
- I am currently undertaking a PhD which explores how healthcare professionals can draw upon their education to become person-centred.
- SLT consultant with Kids Speech Labs, digital health company offering SLT technological solutions