|Course||Delivery Mode||Start Date||Duration|
MSc Sports Performance Analysis
7th October 2023
3 academic semesters
What will I study during this MSc Sports Performance Analysis course?
This programme offers you the opportunity to develop and progress your career by providing a rigorous, in-depth and relevant focus on applied and academic sports performance analysis skills. You will develop your understanding and ability to apply knowledge and analysis to various contexts through a range of opportunities, including the use of your own work experience, case studies, performance analysis scenarios, presentations, problem-based learning exercises and study visits.
Graduates who have successfully completed the course will be able to demonstrate skills and competences in the following areas;
Sport Performance Analysis Practical Skills
- Analyse the degree, to which the performance sport sector has incorporated advances in technology and assess the impact that this has had on applied practices.
- Foster a critical awareness of global sports performance analysis development in the context evidence-based practice.
- Appraise various operational strategies employed in sports performance and sports technology domains.
- Investigate and evaluate.
- Foster critical awareness and thorough understanding of the performance sport sector, combining knowledge and analysis acquired to develop a relevant industry specific original report to a professional standard.
- Demonstrate specialist knowledge and understanding of the performance sport sector and the external context in which it operates, to evaluate strategic choices and make informed strategic decisions for change implementation.
- Conduct independent research and use acquired knowledge to analyse and evaluate specific issues surrounding the performance sport sector.
- Demonstrate self-awareness, self – reflection and self-development to promote higher level transferrable skills.
Practical/transferable skills including employability
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of practical issues relating to Sports Performance Analysis Sector and be capable of providing comprehensive advice in dealing with them.
- Work independently to plan and deliver a work of a professional standard and demonstrate self-direction and originality in problem solving.
- Demonstrate the qualities and transferable skills necessary for employment requiring:
- the exercise of initiative and personal responsibility
- decision-making in complex and unpredictable situations
- Analytical skills, evaluation and synthesis in dealing with a professional sports environment challenge
In addition to the compulsory module topics that will prepare you for working in the Sport Performance Analysis domain we also want to ensure that as a Portobello graduate you are standing above others. To do this we have invested in working with experts in the field who will host webinars, activities and opportunities to apply your classroom-based content into practice. We have also partnered with The PFSA (could have a link here) who are a globally recognised education provider in areas such as Performance Analysis, Talent Identification and Recruitment and Opposition Analysis. This partnership is important as we have secured the opportunity for all students to leave Portobello with at least a Level 1 and Level 2 in these areas as part of their studies.
Who will I learn from?
Personal Academic Tutor
Each student is assigned a personal academic tutor to support you throughout your learning journey. They are available to offer you telephone and email support at any time. You can arrange to meet them for further one to one guidance at a time convenient to you.
Many of our past graduates have found it is the opportunity to ask a simple question, seek direction and submit a draft of their assessment that supported them most to successful completion. Emailing your tutor at any stage during your programme to ask a query or submit a draft of your assessment supports you to achieve your personal best throughout your studies with Portobello.
This level of one to one support is a particular benefit to choosing Portobello as your Institute of choice to complete your studies.
How will I learn?
This MSc has been specifically designed for delivery by online learning with live interactive webinar sessions. It is very suited to you if you have a busy work and home life and want to fit study around this. Blended Learning takes the schedule of a traditional face to face learning programme and re-structures it to reduce the contact tuition time by introducing more online learning together with one to one tutor support.
This mode of delivery includes contact tuition via web-based e-learning and interactive webinar sessions. The e-learning platform is interactive including live and recorded sessions, webinars with weekly content and assigned tasks to themes and topics. The time commitment will be greater than a blended learning programme. A blended learning programme usually has a single workshop at the start of a module whereas a flexible delivery programme will usually have a minimum of 1 weekend per month attendance required.
You can email your tutor at any stage during the module to ask a simple query and there will be scheduled opportunities to submit a draft of your assignment. Our programme management team are always available to offer you telephone and email support and if you need to, you can arrange to meet them for further one to one guidance. For more information about our team, click here. Many of our past graduates have found it is the opportunity to ask a simple question, seek direction and submit a draft of their assessment that supported them most to successful completion.
This level of one-to-one support is unique to blended learning and is a particular benefit to choosing this mode of study. Portobello Institute has invested in a team of programme managers and tutors who are experienced sports scientists as well as qualified and knowledgeable educators. They are available to assist you at every stage of this programme.
Online Learning Portal – ePortobello
During the induction seminar, we will show you how to navigate and find what you need with all of the information you need to complete this programme uploaded on to ePortobello. The content of this programme is set out in an easy to follow format with a combination of notes, articles, podcasts and other materials that will help you to understand the subject and complete your assessment.
This is a blended learning course delivered over three academic semesters with online learning, supported tutorials and webinars held on Saturdays during term time. Attendance at webinars and tutorials is recommended however not compulsory. An exact schedule is available here.
Each semester has a combination of webinars and tutorials designed to support the student complete the modules scheduled for that semester. Webinars/tutorials are held on a Saturday from 10 am to 4 pm and are available to log-in to, from an off-site location. Attendance at webinars and tutorials is not mandatory and delivered with the purpose of introducing the module tutor, setting out the learning outcomes, content, the assessment strategy and expectations for skills/knowledge development and supporting you to achieve the requirements. Webinars are recorded and can be accessed at a later date.
During this Masters programme you will complete seven modules. You will study three modules in semester one and two. Your final semester will be dedicated to your dissertation project in Sports Performance Analysis.
This is a sample schedule of modules and is subject to change.
|Semster 2||Performance Analysis for Pitch-based sports||20|
|Semester 2||Performance Analysis for Individual Sports||20|
|Semester 2||Professional Development in Applied Performance Analysis||20|
|Semester 1||Biomechanical Performance Analysis||20|
|Semester 1||Notational Performance Analysis||20|
|Semester 1||Research Methods for Sports
|Semester 3||Dissertation in Performance Analysis||60|
How will I be assessed?
SMART assessments – we use a range of assessments for each module designed to support a broad range of learning styles, giving you the opportunity to excel.
The primary aim of the varying assessment styles is to support you to demonstrate your knowledge of theory and practical as a result of a range of assessments.
The dissertation project provides the opportunity for an extended piece of formal scientific writing preparing you for your future career and the need to keep scientific based patient notes.
We encourage you to reflect on your knowledge gain with a number of assignments designed to explore your learning journey. All of these assessment methods are seeking to support you to combine theory with scenario-based learning and how to practically implement these methods into your everyday practice.
Studying sports performance analysis can lead to a range of exciting career opportunities within the sports industry. Here are some potential career prospects for individuals with a background in sports performance analysis:
- Performance Analyst: Working with sports teams, organizations, or individual athletes to collect and analyse performance data, providing insights and recommendations to improve performance and enhance decision-making.
- Sports Technology Specialist: Utilizing technology and software tools to capture and analyse performance data, managing data systems, implementing new technologies, and staying up-to-date with advancements in sports technology.
- Video Analyst: Analysing game footage and using video editing software to tag and analyse key events, player movements, and tactical strategies, providing valuable feedback to coaches and players.
- Researcher: Conducting research studies in the field of sports performance analysis, exploring new methodologies, and contributing to the advancement of knowledge in the field.
- Sports Science Consultant: Providing consulting services to sports organizations or individual athletes, offering expertise in performance analysis, data interpretation, and performance enhancement strategies.
- Data Scientist: Applying advanced data analytics techniques to sports performance data, using statistical modelling, machine learning, and data visualization to uncover patterns, trends, and insights.
- Opposition Analyst: Analysing the performance data and strategies of opposing teams or athletes to gain insights, helping coaches develop game plans, and providing tactical recommendations.
- Scout/Talent Reporter: Observing performances to report on potential signings and how these players/athletes could be integrated into different team environments.
- Educator/Trainer: Teaching sports performance analysis courses or workshops, educating coaches, athletes, and students on the principles and techniques of performance analysis.
These are just a few examples of the potential career paths available to individuals with a background in sports performance analysis. The specific opportunities may vary depending on factors such as education level, experience, specialization, and personal interests. It is also worth noting that sports performance analysis skills are increasingly sought after across various sports organisations, including professional teams, national governing bodies, sports technology companies, and academic institutions.
What is the role of a sports performance analyst?
If you are interested in assessing performance in sport to develop an understanding of actions that can inform decision-making, optimize performance and support coaches and players in their journey towards optimal results, then a role in sports performance analysis will be of interest to you. Professional sports teams employ performance data analysts to manage the data they gather and analyse to manage the development of their athletes. When working in this area of sport you will be helping professional athletes and teams achieve optimum levels of performance. As a sports performance analyst, you will utilise the principles of measurement and assessment strategies in sport, exercise and physical education.
Speak to an expert
Choosing a course that will lead you to your career of choice is a significant decision. Understanding the delivery modes, supports available, career opportunities and further study options are all key considerations when making your choice. Our course adviser team are experts in the courses Portobello offers, the employment prospects and possible progression routes to Masters programmes – they will guide you through the detail and support you with any queries you may have.
It is important you make the right choice for you and choose the Institute and course that will best suit your needs.
As the Sports Admissions Advisor, I work with students from our sports departments. I get to play a vital part in the advancement of peoples lives and career ambitions from supporting students at the start of their journey through education, taking that forward with them as a lifelong passion and desire. Knowledge is key and I carry this message to all who have an interest in joining any of our sports courses.
What do you enjoy about working in Portobello?
Being in admissions for the sports department you are lucky because not only do you play a vital part in the student’s life by way of providing clear advice on courses you also get to know the students and understand their visions from the very first interaction.
What inspires you about working in education?
Education has always been a passion of mine as I do firmly believe that with the knowledge and skills for our desired careers, we can really go on to accomplish anything in life. I don’t believe that barriers shouldn’t exist when it comes to education, and I like to ensure nobody else feels they should either.
Have you a story that you recall that touched you/made you laugh/made you cry?
Many of us can recall that one person be it an old schoolteacher or a college tutor who took that extra bit of interest in us, I believe these occurrences are pivotal. I’ve been fortunate enough in life to see the impact education and a second chance can do for people this attracted me into the career I have today.
Why do you want to help students to decide on their course choice?
I love being a source of support and guidance for students as they navigate through the learning world. Portobello Institute is a special place to do this. I feel very fortunate to work alongside such a dedicated and warm-hearted team and love the dynamic and accommodating environment provided to meet everyone’s needs at every step of their journey.
How do I apply?
Entry to this course is by direct application to the college.
Applicants will be required to have a minimum of a 2.2 (or equivalent) in a related subject discipline. You should also submit an up-to-date CV and copies of awards/professional qualifications.
All applicants must be able to demonstrate proficiency in the use of the English Language.
Please note places on this course are only confirmed once tuition fees have been received.
Students will be registered as a post-graduate degree student with Liverpool John Moore’s University
Fees & Payment Options
Exam Body Reg. Fee
Overall Course Price
Easy Payment Plan
Payment Option 1
30% deposit payment (€3,097.50), followed by 10 scheduled payments on the first of each month, commencing the 1st of the month after the start date of the course. Includes one off instalment fee of €395.
- €722.75 due in month 1
- €722.75 due in month 2
- €722.75 due in month 3
- €722.75 due in month 4
- €722.75 due in month 5
- €722.75 due in month 6
- €722.75 due in month 7
- €722.75 due in month 8
- €722.75 due in month 9
- €722.75 due in month 10
|Course||Delivery Mode||Start Date||Duration||Fees Per Year|
MSc Sports Performance Analysis
7th October 2023
3 academic semesters
Fees Per Year
- Enter your email
- You'll be redirected to our Application platform
- Start your application
- Choose your preferred payment option
- Submit your application
- One of our course advisors will review and be in touch