Terms of Enrolment
- All learners must provide a valid email address and mobile phone number while enrolled at Portobello Institute. This is the main way we communicate with the learner body and it is each learner’s responsibility to check emails/texts for important updates, cancellations, notifications, results, events, seminars and so on. It is the learner’s responsibility to inform Portobello Institute if any of their contact details change.
- Learners enrolled on QQI courses must supply a valid PPS number at time of registration.
- All learners must submit supporting evidence in advance of programme start date to satisfy the entry requirements.
- Fluency in English is essential to undertake any course in Portobello Institute.
- All learners are encouraged to disclose their additional support needs before starting a course.
- Learners must make efforts to fully participate on the programme which will be delivered in accordance to our agreed policy schedule as outlined in our Portobello’s QA manual.
- Additional fees – some courses such as LMU undergraduate and post graduate degree programmes have an additional registration fee. Learners who register on these programmes are liable to pay these fees at time of enrolment or via instalment plan. Learners who opt for instalment plans will also incur an additional fee for this service.
- Learners who opt for payment plans must book their course via the website www.portobelloinstitute.com and select an option for payment dates. Card details used for the deposit will be saved on the secure system, and all future payments deducted automatically on the chosen dates on this same card. Failed transactions will be attempted again. Payments that continue to fail on 5 consecutive occasions will result in ePortobello access being suspended without further notice and until the account is in order again
- Failure to pay fees will result the learner’s ePortobello account being suspended and/or their place on their course being cancelled.
- Learners with outstanding fees will not be certified.
- In the event that a learner has to repeat a year, full fees will be applicable for that year.
- Course fees are subject to change year on year.
- Course fees do not include the cost of materials.
- Fees are still payable should a learner withdraw from a course.
- Tuition fees, deposits and registration fees are only refundable under the circumstances outlined below.
- Procedure for processing of requests for deferrals: Learner requests a deferral form via email@example.com. Learner completes application form and returns to that email address, along with any required supporting evidence. Deferral fees can be paid over the phone by calling (01) 8920000. Learners will be informed in writing of the outcome of their request.
- Procedure for processing of requests for refunds: Learner requests a refund application form via firstname.lastname@example.org. Learner completes application form and returns to that email address, along with any required supporting evidence. Refund applications will be considered by the Refund Committee within 30 days of receipt of application.
- Portobello Institute reserves the right to request a learner to vacate their place on a course should their behaviour cause unnecessary disruption.
- Portobello Institute retains the right to refuse admission to a course and fees will not be charged in this case.
- Portobello Institute reserves the right to cancel a course due to insufficient applications and fees will be fully refunded in this case.
- Portobello Institute reserves the right to alter, change or withdraw any of the modules, timetables, or tutors on the schedule.
- Whilst every effort is made to ensure the safekeeping of all materials submitted, Portobello Institute will not be responsible for the loss or theft of any materials.
- Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the information contained in this document is correct, Portobello Institute is not liable for any errors or omissions.
- Course Fees are non-transferrable.
- International learners are required to pay all fees in full prior to course commencement.
- Sessions delivered via Portobello Institute’s online learning platform, e-Portobello, such sessions and examinations may be video recorded.
- Learners are not permitted to reproduce or modify any part of a course, store it in a retrieval system or transmit it in any form by any means – electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise without the prior written permission of Portobello Institute.
- Learners may, in some cases, transfer to a different start date for their course. Approval will depend on circumstances and applications must be made via Admissions Department. Maximum number of transfers per learner is one, any subsequent transfers will be treated as deferral.
- The exclusions and limitations of liability contained in these Terms of Enrolment do not apply to: Any loss or damage resulting from death or personal injury caused by PI’s negligence; loss or damage arising from fraudulent misrepresentation, or any other losses which may not be excluded or limited by law. In no event shall PI be responsible to learners for any loss of profits, loss of earnings, loss of anticipated savings, loss of revenue or loss of goodwill that they may suffer. Further, in no event shall PI be liable to learners for indirect or consequential losses. Portobello Institute’s maximum aggregate liability to enrolled learners for any claim is limited to the amount of the course fee paid.
Refunds are granted in the following circumstances.
- If a course is cancelled by Portobello Institute
- If an International learner is refused a Visa to study in Ireland
- If a refund is requested from an online booking within 14 days*
Refund applications are processed within 30 days upon receipt of the refund form. These T&C’s meet the guidelines of the National Consumer Regulations June 2014.
Learners who apply for a refund that do not meet the conditions for a refund, but who do meet the conditions of a deferral, will be granted a deferral with the appropriate deferral conditions attached.
*An online booking is one where the learner books via www.portobelloinstitute.com and pays in full. Once a learner has logged into ePortobello this 14-day period is null and void
Learners seeking a deferral must meet one of the following conditions:
Compassionate and Compelling Circumstances as follows:
- Serious illness or injury with accompanying medical certificate.
- Bereavement of close family member to include parents, spouse, siblings or child.
- Traumatic experience which would include witness or involvement in serious accident, witnessing or being victim of serious crime.
- Paperwork to accompany the request for a deferral should include medical certificates, death certificate of family member, Garda or psychologists report.
- You must have paid the full course fee before you can apply for a deferral.
Learners who are granted deferral will lose any payments made up to the point of deferral, and full fees are payable upon re-enrolment.
Deferrals are not automatically granted. Learners who apply for deferral are advised to continue with their studies until they have been informed of the outcome of their deferral application.
Protection of Enrolled Learners
The Qualifications and Quality Assurance (Education and Training) Act 2012 Part 6 requires that all QQI programmes over 12 weeks have an insurance policy in place for the Protection of Enrolled Learners.
Portobello Institute have established a mandatory policy for learners with Arachas, ensuring that each learner has the required financial insurance in place should any unforeseen circumstances arise during their study period. The payment for Insurance is in addition to your course fee and is a mandatory obligation from each registering learner.
Following payment to Arachas by the college you will be sent through your certificate which will contain your personal details and your ID for your policy. You do not have to contact Arachas directly or pay them directly. The college will process this on your behalf.
Please retain your insurance certificate for the duration of your course. This is proof that your payment and course is insured in line with PEL requirements.
Arachas Corporate Brokers Limited trading as Arachas Capital Insurance Markets is regulated by The Central Bank of Ireland
These terms and conditions are effective from 20.03.21