Terms of Enrolment
- All learners must provide a valid email address and mobile phone number while enrolled at Portobello
Institute. This is the main way we communicate with the learner body, and it is each learner’s responsibility
to check emails/texts for important updates, cancellations, notifications, results, events, seminars and so
on. It is the learner’s responsibility to inform Portobello Institute if any of their contact details change.
- Once enrolled, Portobello Institute will issue all learners with their own @portobelloinstitute.com email
address which will need to be used to access the Institute’s learner systems. This will be the main email
address the Institute will use for contacting learners from that point on.
- Learners enrolled on QQI courses must supply a valid PPS number at time of registration.
• All learners must submit supporting evidence in advance of programme start date to satisfy the entry
- Learners must satisfy the entry requirements to undertake a programme.
- Fluency in English is essential to undertake any course in Portobello Institute.
- All learners are encouraged to disclose their additional support needs before starting a course.
- Learners must make efforts to fully participate on the programme which will be delivered in accordance
with our agreed policy schedule as outlined in our Portobello’s QA manual.
- Additional fees – some courses such as London Met undergraduate and post graduate degree programmes
have an additional registration fee. Learners who register on these programmes are liable to pay these
fees at time of enrolment or via instalment plan. Learners who opt for instalment plans will also incur an
additional fee for this service.
- Learners who opt for payment plans must book their course via the website www.portobelloinstitute.com
and select an option for payment dates. Card details used for the deposit will be saved on the secure
system, and all future payments deducted automatically on the chosen dates on this same card. Failed
transactions will be attempted again. Payments that continue to fail on 5 consecutive occasions will result
in ePortobello access being suspended without further notice and until the account is in order again
• Failure to pay fees will result the learner’s ePortobello account being suspended and/or their place on their
course being cancelled.
- Learners with outstanding fees will not be certified.
- In the event that a learner has to repeat a year, full fees will be applicable for that year.
• Course fees are subject to change year on year.
- Course fees do not include the cost of materials.
- Fees are still payable should a learner withdraw from a course.
- Tuition fees, deposits and registration fees are only refundable under the circumstances outlined below.
- Procedure for processing of requests for deferrals:
- Learner requests a deferral form via email@example.com. Learner completes application form and returns to that email address, along with any required supporting evidence. Deferral fees can be paid over the phone by calling (01) 8920000. Learners will be informed in writing of the outcome of their request.
- Procedure for processing of requests for temporary leave of absence: Learner requests a TLA application form via firstname.lastname@example.org. Learner completes application form and returns to that email address, along with any required supporting evidence. Fees can be paid over the phone by calling (01) 8920000. Learners will be informed in writing of the outcome of their request.
- Procedure for processing of requests for refunds: Learner requests a refund application form via email@example.com. Learner completes application form and returns to that email address, along with any required supporting evidence. Refund applications will be considered by the Refund Committee within 30 days of receipt of application.
- Portobello Institute reserves the right to request a learner to vacate their place on a course should their behaviour cause unnecessary disruption.
- Portobello Institute retains the right to refuse admission to a course and fees will not be charged in this case.
- Portobello Institute reserves the right to cancel a course due to insufficient applications and fees will be fully refunded in this case.
- Portobello Institute reserves the right to alter, change or withdraw any of the modules, timetables, or tutors on the schedule.
- Whilst every effort is made to ensure the safekeeping of all materials submitted, Portobello Institute will not be responsible for the loss or theft of any materials.
- Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the information contained in this document is correct, Portobello Institute is not liable for any errors or omissions.
- Course Fees are non-transferrable.
- International learners are required to pay all fees in full prior to course commencement.
- Sessions delivered via Portobello Institute’s online learning platform, e-Portobello, such sessions, and examinations may be video recorded.
- Learners are not permitted to reproduce or modify any part of a course, store it in a retrieval system or transmit it in any form by any means – electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise without the prior written permission of Portobello Institute.
- The exclusions and limitations of liability contained in these Terms of Enrolment do not apply to: Any loss or damage resulting from death or personal injury caused by PI’s negligence; loss or damage arising from fraudulent misrepresentation, or any other losses which may not be excluded or limited by law. In no event shall Portobello Institute be responsible to learners for any loss of profits, loss of earnings, loss of anticipated savings, loss of revenue or loss of goodwill that they may suffer. Further, in no event shall Portobello Institute be liable to learners for indirect or consequential losses. Portobello Institute’s maximum aggregate liability to enrolled learners for any claim is limited to the amount of the course fee paid.
- Before undertaking an online course with Portobello Institute, please have a look at our system requirements. We recommend all users ensure they are meeting the minimum requirements below for ePortobello Webinars and any online exams prior to their first live session. Minimum requirements may vary depending on the device and
browser being used.
- Recommended Browsers
The recommended browsers are:
• Desktop/Laptop: Latest version of Chrome, Firefox, and Edge.
• Mobile Android (6.0+): Chrome Mobile
• Mobile iOS (12.2+): Safari Mobile and Chrome
Please note – For students taking exams, please use Google Chrome Browser Only
The following settings are recommended for all users connecting via desktop or laptop:
• Laptop or desktop computer with minimum 4GB of memory and a 2 GHz processor
(most computers bought in the few years).
• Internet Speed: at least 1.0 Mbs upload and 2 Mbs download.
• Audio: A headset will ensure that others can hear your voice clearly and you don’t cause echo or background noise for others.
• A laptop with a built-in webcam and microphone will be sufficient as well if you’re in a quiet area.
- Refund PolicyRefunds are granted in the following circumstances.
• If a course is cancelled by Portobello Institute
• If a refund is requested from an online booking within 14 days*
- Places cannot be held open for applicants awaiting leaving certificate results, however, should a student accept a place and then choose not to progress with this course having received a CAO offer, a refund of 75% of fees paid will be made. Refunds must be requested in writing within 48 hours after the first-round offers have been made. This will only be accepted by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Evidence of CAO offer acceptance must be provided along in order to apply for a refund.
Refund applications are processed within 30 days upon receipt of the refund form. These T&C’s meet the guidelines of the National Consumer Regulations June 2014.
Learners who apply for a refund that do not meet the conditions for a refund, but who do meet the conditions of a deferral, will be granted a deferral with the appropriate deferral conditions attached.
*An online booking is one where the learner books via www.portobelloinstitute.com and pays via the online payment system. Once a learner has logged into ePortobello this 14-day period is null and void.
- Deferral and Temporary Leave of Absence Policies
Learners who have not commenced studies can apply for deferral up to 14 days before the start of the programme.
In all other cases learners must apply for Temporary Leave of Absence.
Learners seeking a deferral or temporary leave of absence must meet one of the following conditions:
• Compassionate and Compelling Circumstances as follows: Serious illness or injury with accompanying medical certificate. Bereavement of close family member to include parents, spouse, siblings, or child. Traumatic experience which would include witness or involvement in serious accident, witnessing or being victim of serious crime. Paperwork to accompany the request for a deferral should include medical certificates, death certificate of family member, Garda, or psychologists report.
- You must have paid the full course fee before you can apply for a deferral.
Deferrals and Temporary Leave of Absence are not automatically granted. Learners who apply are advised to
continue with their studies until they have been informed of the outcome of their deferral application.
- Protection of Enrolled Learners
The Qualifications and Quality Assurance (Education and Training) Act 2012 Part 6 requires that all QQI programmes over 3 months have an insurance policy in place for the Protection of Enrolled Learners.
Portobello Institute have established a mandatory policy for learners with Arachas, ensuring that each learner has the required financial insurance in place should any unforeseen circumstances arise during their study period. The payment for Insurance is in addition to your course fee and is a mandatory obligation from each registering learner.
Following payment to Arachas by the college you will be sent through your certificate which will contain your personal details and your ID for your policy. You do not have to contact Arachas directly or pay them directly. The college will process this on your behalf.
Please retain your insurance certificate for the duration of your course. This is proof that your payment and course is insured in line with PEL requirements.
Arachas Corporate Brokers Limited trading as Arachas Capital Insurance Markets is regulated by The Central Bank of Ireland
By enrolling on a programme with Portobello Institute, (the “Institute”) learners consent to the Institute using photographs and/or video recordings taken by the Institute or by persons or organisations authorised on behalf of the Institute for the purposes of internally and externally promoting the Institute. These images may be used in any media (existing or later created or made available) including print and digital media formats such as print publications, prospectuses, brochures, websites, e-marketing, posters, banners, advertising, film, social media, teaching, and research purposes.
Some images or recordings may be kept permanently once they are published and be kept as an archive of Portobello Institute life.
By enrolling in Portobello Institute, learners agree that:
• they will not be paid a fee in respect of any use made of the photograph(s) and/or video recording(s) but have the opportunity of being involved in promoting the Institute in the manner set out above.
• Copyright in the image(s) and/or video recordings will be retained by the Institute; and
• The Institute shall have the right to edit, modify, crop, add to or subtract from the photographs and/or video recordings at its entire discretion and without my approval.
- By accepting the Terms of Enrolment, I agree to have read and understand the conditions and consent to my images and or video recordings being used as described. The Institute is committed to processing information in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The personal data collected on this form will be held securely and will only be used for administrative purposes.
You have the right to request to see a copy of the information we hold about you and to request corrections or deletions of the information that is no longer required. You can ask the Institute to stop using your images at any time, in which case it will not be used in future publications but may continue to appear in publications already in circulation.
- You have the right to lodge a concern or complaint against the Institute regarding data protection issues with the
Data Protection Commissioner.
If you have any questions relating to this consent form or the way we are planning to use your information please
The Data Protection Officer
43 Dominick Street Lower
These terms and conditions are effective from 27.10.2022